Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Digg.com: Clinton Foundation

I was browsing Digg.com, a website we learned about in class, and I noticed an article about AIDS and the Clinton Foundation.

Clinton has been able to come to an agreement with drug companies which would lower the price of 2nd line Anti-retroviral drugs down about 45% per year (under $1 a day) for patients who have developed a resistance to the frontline drugs.

It is estimated that almost half a million people will be needing these drugs by 2010.

4 comments:

rcarman said...

That is a great thing that Clinton has been able to do. Did it mention if most of these drugs would be given to people in developed nations like the United States, or if there would be a continued effort to give these type of cheap drugs to needy people in the less developed nations?

Kerri Angell said...

I agree that this is a wonderful step made by Clinton. Who would have thought this could be possible.. just a dollar a day? I hope this effort is continued because action must be made to fight AIDS now. I could only wish that in my lifetime, this battle will be won. I question along with Roger if these drugs will be made available to underdeveloped nations where they are in great need.

Matt Kates said...

I believe the focus will be to make these cheaper drugs available to impoverished nations. People in the US are able to pay the higher drug prices, and legislation prevents US citizens from importing drugs from outside the US, thus these cheaper drugs will be given to people in need outside the US.

Matt Kates said...

books.